Thursday, January 29, 2009

What the Kermit...?!

"A global team of researchers has estimated that the international trade in frog meat represents 200 million to 1 billion frogs eaten each year, or about 11,000 tons of frog meat."
So that's what's been bothering Kermit so much! That little factoid came from this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28876555/wid/18298287/?GT1=45002

1,000,000,000 frogs...killed and eaten every year. Say whaaaat?! I don't really have any profound Krishna Conscious realizations on this. It's just crazy and I had to share it.

I currently have no time to blog, but if I did these are the topics I'd write about (as I get ideas I jot them down onto a piece of paper):

1. "Our Eternal Business" - Examining what our real business is here in the material world, which incidentally isn't working at a retail office supply store.

2. "When Krishna Becomes Our Necessity" - So many other things in life become so-called necessities, when in reality they're just temporary distractions from our main purpose and goal in life. When Krishna becomes our main necessity, all other things fall into place.

3. "Japa Irony" - Japa is supposed to be the easy process and path to Krishna-prema, but then why is it so hard and so many devotees struggle with it?! And why are there tons of seminars, workshops and books about the topic of improving japa if it's supposed to be so easy and sublime? Seems like hard work to me. In this blog musing I would analyze both sides of the japa bead.

4. "That Which We Do Not Speak Of" - This blog entry would have a disclaimer at the top that if you don't want to talk about sex, then don't continue reading. This is an entry I've been wanting to write for months now, ever since I started this thing. I even have images that I made in Photoshop a long time ago to use for this entry. It'd basically be all about sex and being a devotee.

5. "The Great Coffee Debacle" - A look at devotees' justifications for following some regs and not others. What's the psychology behind it? And if we break one reg, what keeps us from breaking the others?

6. "Cultivating the Internal" - Sometimes we get caught up in the externals of the devotional process to the point that our internal cultivation becomes stagnate or non-existent. Without genuine, internal cultivation of surrender, selflessness and devotional consciousness we will very easily fall from the path of bhakti. Being a true Vaishnava isn't just about wearing a dhoti or sari, wearing tilak and saying, "Jaya. Haribol, prabhu". It's about a transformation of the heart and consciousness.

7. "Even Heidi Klum's Farts Stink" - This could possibly be interrelated with the sex topic, as it's a look at the superficial nature of material beauty and the reality that lies beneath.

8. "The Nectar for Which We Are Always Anxious" - We all want pleasure and sense gratification, yet no matter how much we indulge in it and give in to the mind's and senses' demands, we find ourselves empty and miserable. So why do we still settle for it? And what will really satisfy us on a deeper level?

As you can see, it could take me days to write all of these. I just don't have the time to sit and write, write, write. And when I do have the time, I don't have the motivation. Such a paradox. Ah, well. Let us just go on chanting Hare Krishna.

No comments: