Saturday, July 4, 2009

That Which We Do Not Speak Of (Sex Life Revisited)

An astute reader of my previous post noted that it seemed rushed and that it lacked my personality. I was impressed by their ability to detect that it was indeed a rushed post. I had really wanted to post that comic strip, but also needed to be somewhere, so I cut and pasted a bunch of sastric (scriptural) quotes and at the end threw up a link for further reading. Now don't get me wrong: the quotes and link are definitely pertinent and relevant to the discussion, but it was evident that I had thrown it all together without much personal commentary or thoughts on the topic. So in this post I wanted to come back to it with a little more personality.

First off, I was surprised by "Hare Krishna Diary"'s comment on the previous post. In all of the feedback I've been getting they were the only one to feel that I was portraying brahmacari's in a mocking way or saying that ALL brahmacaris are sexual deviants. Obviously that wasn't the intention of the comic strip. The intention was that there are sometimes individual persons in the brahmacari ashram that are struggling with sexual thoughts or reflections. And the problem is: well what do we do with those desires? And how do we stop them? And of course the feeling of hopelessness and frustration that comes along with being unable to stop the powerful pushing of sex desire.

I believe it's just part of the human experience. If it wasn't such an important topic then it wouldn't appear so much in the Srimad Bhagavatam and other Vedic scriptures. My Guru Maharaja, H.H. Bhakti Tirtha Swami, was outspoken on the topic and delineated many important points on this issue in his book "Spiritual Warrior 2: Transforming Lust into Love".

When I was going through my crisis and doubts about being a brahmacari and had expressed to him that perhaps I should put on white cloth, he said to me reassuringly (paraphrasing), "One never really, completely gets rid of sex desire. It's just a matter of learning how to channel (transform) that energy." His point was that as long as we're in a material body, we'll experience such urges and pushes from the senses and mind. Part of the spiritual, devotional process is learning how to focus that energy towards Krishna and devotional service.

In my seven years as a brahmacari I had genuine experiences of being so absorbed in devotional service that thoughts of sex were completely non-existent in my mind. It really all comes down to the mind and what it's focusing and reflecting on. As Krishna says in the Bhagavad-gita, our mind can be our greatest friend or our greatest enemy. When it's uncontrolled it's our enemy and conversely when it's controlled it's our friend.

Controlling the mind is such a paradox, because it's within our power to control it. In other words, the mind is nothing more than a tool or instrument being used by the soul. The individual soul has the freewill and the power to decide how to use the mind. We can control what it's thinking about and reflecting on.

So why does Arjuna say to Krishna in the Bhagavad-gita that controlling the mind seems more difficult than controlling the wind? (Bhagavad-gita 6.34) Because the fact is that even though we are in control of the mind, the mind is sometimes so fickle and obstinate that it overrides our intelligence. We may know the right thing to do, but still our mind urges us towards something improper. Krishna agrees and acknowledges the difficulty of controlling the mind, but says that it's possible with "constant practice and detachment" (Bhagavad-gita 6.35). And Srila Prabhupada, in his purport, says that the most important step in controlling the mind is hearing about Krishna and transcendental topics.

When the mind is engaged in attentively hearing about Krishna (sravanam), then naturally it also becomes absorbed in thoughts of Him (smaranam). That is the secret of controlling the mind. And as we become more attached to Krishna and the process of devotional service, then we become more and more detached from the material world and sense gratification. But again, it takes constant practice. We have to devote the time for hearing and chanting and remembering Krishna. It's not like we just hear one Bhagavad-gita verse and all of a sudden we're pure devotees.

The attraction to sex life is one of those things that we've been conditioned into accepting as the highest pleasure in material existence. We become like Pavlov's dog that every time it heard a bell ring it would begin to salivate, because it had been conditioned to receive a treat every time it heard a bell. So every time we see some stimulus for sex, like the attractive forms of the opposite sex, then our minds think, "Oh, here is pleasure" and we begin to reflect on enjoying sexual pleasures. No doubt there is some pleasure in the experience of orgasm, but it's a temporary, momentary chemical stimulation in the brain. But just as with any addiction, we find ourselves needing more and more of the "drug" just to feel a tiny glimmer of what we once felt in the beginning. Such a downward spiral leads to depression, despair and emptiness.

The fact is, sexual pleasure is just one more weapon in the arsenal of the Lord's illusory energy. Actually, it can be considered the main, chief weapon of maya. It's a force so powerful that it completely binds us to a materialistic, bodily conception of life. Is it impossible to over come? Of course not. Is it difficult to over come? Of course.

The main problem is not having enough desire to become completely Krishna Conscious. We still have desires separate from Krishna and pleasing Krishna's senses. Our devotion is still so mixed with desires for personal benefit and gain. We want Krishna, but we also want sense gratification. Unfortunately this is like trying to mix oil and water. They're just not compatible. As long as we desire our personal sense gratification over desiring Krishna, then to that degree we will remain in illusion and suffering.

Srila Prabhupada explains further in his purport to the Bhagavad-gita verse 6.35 that just by hearing about Krishna we become more attached to Him. We just have to follow the nine-fold process of devotional service and we'll make progress towards Krishna. I think back to some of my best days in Krishna Consciousness and it was when I was fully absorbed in the process. Now I'm lucky if I chant one round a day or read a verse from the Srimad Bhagavatam. If we're not following the process then how can we say, "This process doesn't work!" If the doctor gives us some medicine to take, but we decide not to take it, then how can we complain when our disease or suffering becomes worse? When we find ourselves being harassed and victimized by our mind and senses we have to stop and ask ourselves, "What is the quality of my sadhana (daily devotional practice)? What is the quality of my chanting and hearing?" There's almost no doubt that our suffering and misery are a reflection of our poor (or in some cases non-existent) sadhana.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was intrigues by this post:

"No doubt there is some pleasure in the experience of orgasm, but it's a temporary, momentary chemical stimulation in the brain. But just as with any addiction, we find ourselves needing more and more of the "drug" just to feel a tiny glimmer of what we once felt in the beginning. Such a downward spiral leads to depression, despair and emptiness."

Speaking for myself, I'd say that sex is a healthy part of my relationship. I'm not addicted to it, neither is my wife, and there is certainly no downward spiral of depression, despair and emptiness. I think your over generalization is alienating, but if you're speaking personally then that is a different matter.

I'd also say that I am certainly not just having sex for the "momentary chemical stimulation in the brain." I'd again point to the my belief that sex is a healthy way of nurturing a close bond between my wife and I. Yes, sex without love sounds a great deal like the sort of thing you might be talking about, but for me sex is something very different.

I assure you that sex with love is quite a pleasant experience, and undertaken by two mature loving individuals can be a uniquely bonding experience. I think of my wife as someone who helps me on my path of spirituality, and if I can create a closer bond of love, trust and closeness - with sex as one facet of that - then ultimately it will help me on the path back to God. That is my belief.

I've seen so many people who have held beliefs like yours, become sour faced, bitter, stauch, uncaring - all of this in the name of God, do you see the irony. That may not be true for you, it may make you happier, more blissful and self-aware, more peaceful and aid in a closer relationship to your husband by thinking of sex this way: I don't know, but it might. For other's that is sadly not the case, I've seen it again and again. Perhaps you will succeed where they have failed, and for my part I hope so.

As for me I will continue on my own path, sex included, to God. If I find myself on a downward spiral; feeling depressed, in despair and empty, I'll let you know.

Jayadeva said...

I'm sensing a bit of a defensive, hostile tone in your comment. If you feel that having lots of unrestricted sex with your wife is good for the development of your spiritual consciousness and is making you more selfless and creating less identification with your physical body, then by all means go ahead and keep having lots of sex.

The point of my post was that according to Vedic culture, sex life is something that is to be regulated. Otherwise it binds us further to material illusion and identification and ultimately to further suffering. I agree that sex life in marriage and between two loving, mature adults is something sacred. The sacredness of the act comes from the creation of life, not necessarily in the sensory enjoyment of the other person.

You say that you're not having sex because of the pleasure derived from it. I don't believe that's possible. Human beings would not have sex if it were not so pleasurable to our senses. The shared experience of sexual pleasure is part of what creates a "close bond" between two people. It is this kind of bond that ties the knots of illusion tighter in the heart of the living entity. In other words, the more you have sex, the more you become attached to your body and the body of the other person. This is ultimately detrimental to the advancement of spiritual consciousness and transcendence, since on the plane of transcendence and relationship with God there are no physical bodies and no material sex.

The Vedas urge us that material sex life is to be gradually renounced, just as our material relationships are to be gradually renounced as well. Any form of attachment to this material world, material body and material relationships will only further bind us to the process of samsara (repeated birth and death).

Sometimes we like to justify things in our life because we find them enjoyable, but in the end we can't avoid the truth. Perhaps you're not experiencing any depression, despair or emptiness at the present time, but this current material life is only one brief moment in the eternity of our existence.

Anonymous said...

Before we move on in this discussion I'd like to make it totally clear that I am committed to understanding your point of view. I'll show you that I'm committed by doing my best to accurately reflect what you write about.

Now, let's decide how this discussion is going to be. So far, when you inaccurately reflect what I write about, I feel quite upset because it seems you don't want to understand what I've written. Also, from my perspective, it wouldn't be worth having a discussion like that.

I need to know that you're just as committed to hearing my side of the dialog, so that we can continue having it. To me, you'll show that you're committed, by reflecting what I've said as accurately as you can.

Is that something you can agree to?

Jayadeva said...

I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with what you're saying.

Jayadeva said...

Let me clarify: it's not that I don't agree with some of your points, I just don't think unrestricted sex (even in marriage) is conducive for becoming detached and transcendental.

Anonymous said...

If you think that the following excerpt from your reply accurately reflects my comment, then it may be worth looking into what sort of filters that information is reaching you through. Otherwise, in my opinion, it might just be a general lack of effective communication skills on your part. Pay close attention to the discrepancy, between what I wrote, and what you reflected.

"If you feel that having lots of unrestricted sex with your wife is good for the development of your spiritual consciousness and is making you more selfless and creating less identification with your physical body, then by all means go ahead and keep having lots of sex"

Good luck with everything.

Jayadeva said...

Again, I understand what you're saying. What you quoted was a bit of snarky, sarcasm on my part. I understand that you're not "addicted" to sex with your wife and that you feel the bond and relationship with your wife helps you get closer to God. I do agree that our relationships on this temporal plane facilitate the development of our relationship with God. What I don't agree with is your contention that physical sex (even with so-called love) is ultimately beneficial for self realization and ceasing bodily identification. Sure, sex can be used in service to God to raise God conscious children, but when used as a vehicle for personal (or mutual) sense gratification it really has no spiritual, transcendent value. Again, if you feel it's good for the cultivation of your spiritual life then do what feels right to you. There's really nothing more to discuss. You have your ideas and I have mine.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said: "As for me I will continue on my own path, sex included, to God. If I find myself on a downward spiral; feeling depressed, in despair and empty, I'll let you know."
I can tell you when you will feel the depression and the downward spiral; if you lose your wife. My spouse was accidentally dead when I was young. I was not then yet involved with HK movement. However after that my sexual desires started to have strong and even perverted features. I was missing my spouse and couldn't feel love towards any other person for years. After ten years I am a 30 year old. And still haven't found a person to marry with even desperately looking for it.
I must say, that I am very jealous to you, as you have exactly what I desire - a nice marriage. Not everyone is as lucky as you. You must be very dear to Krishna.

Lana said...

no words. just thank you.