Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Great Harinama Sankirtan Debate

Well, it's not really a debate, because I'm not disagreeing that harinama sankirtan is an important form of preaching and spreading Krishna Consciousness. After all, chanting the Holy Name is the yuga-dharma and Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Himself propagated love of God through sankirtan.I guess the "debate" becomes: are there other valid and bona fide ways of preaching and sharing Krishna Consciousness with others? Just based on the results that my beloved Guru Maharaja gained, I would unequivocally agree that it's completely possible to bring jivas to the path of bhakti via other avenues of preaching than just harinama sankirtan and book distribution.

The first step in effective preaching is rapport. When someone trusts us they become comfortable with us. When they become comfortable with us they become more receptive to our thoughts, ideas and beliefs. When that kind of field is created, there is a conducive environment for Krishna Consciousness to be planted and cultivated. That kind of rapport begins by us just being decent, humble and kind humans. There's a certain calm and peace that people can perceive by being around devotees.

Anyway, it could be said that maybe I'm making this all too complex and abstract, but for me it's just a natural way of thinking and being. It could also be said that maybe I'm just trying to find ways to justify my lack of direct preaching through harinama sankirtan and book distribution, but I don't feel that's a fair assessment. I would gladly do these things if the opportunity presented itself.

In reality, there can't be effective preaching without effective sadhana. And I don't claim to be fixed in my sadhana at all. So for me, I really don't even consider pro-active preaching activities. I don't feel fixed enough in my own sadhana and my own consciousness to be trying to persuade or convince others that they should practice devotional service. I'm more of an accidental preacher.

3 comments:

Devadeva Mirel said...

i'm more of an accidental eater. oh no! i accidentally ate 7 cookies! how did that happen?

k.mala gutierrez said...

I'm more of a purposeful avoider - like I purposely avoid preaching because it scares me. I don't want to freak people out or make them think I'm weird. so really it's about me.

kalpavrksa1 said...

Love your Blogging. Keep it up. Harinama is the eventual goal of our preaching but not the only means. Our philosophy is centered around three main points. Each of which depends upon the other. Sambandha (relationship) Abhideya (method/process) Prayojana (result)First we establish the relationship with others by whatever the means may be, within KC standards. We introduce them at some point to the process, ABCD's Association, Books, Chanting, and Diet. Some have success in casting a broad net. Others just drop a single hook in the water. Preaching is an art not a ridgid formula. Gurudeva proved his method by showing his heart to others not forcing an ideology.